Exclude a parent or parents from the study financing application
Why is parental information required when applying for study financing?
The study financing program of the Government of St.Maarten is funded by the taxpayers on St.Maarten. Applicants may be awarded study financing considering that their parents and or guardian are contributors to the program through their taxes.
When can I exclude a parent or both parents ?
A study financing applicant may submit a request to exclude a parent or both parents from their application in the following cases:
Case 1: No contact with parents or a parent for at least 5 years
This request must be supported by a declaration from an organization like the Court of Guardianship, a school manager , a dean , a guidance counselor , a social worker, a psychologist or counselor.
The statement must clearly show:
- Since what age the student did not have contact with the parent (s ) .
- Why the contact between the student and the parent (s ) is broken ( a short synopsis ) .
Case 2: No structural parental contribution, uncooperative parents or serious irreconcilable conflict
This request must be supported by a declaration from an organization like the Court of Guardianship, a school manager , a dean , a guidance counselor , a social worker, a psychologist or counselor. Or with supporting documents such as emails or letter requesting the parent or guardian’s cooperation.
The statement must clearly sho w:
- Since what age there is a broken relationship with (one of) the parents as a result an irreconcilable
- conflict or no structural parental contribution.
- How the conflict arose?
- The background and reasons for the broken parent – child relationship
Division Study Financing may request permission to contact the parent to verify the claims.
Very important is that statements must meet the following conditions/criteria.
- relates to the personal situation of the student;
- is based on your own knowledge and investigation of the personal situation of the student;
- must be signed by the author;
- must be written on letterhead of the organization where you work or must have a stamp of your body;